Wednesday, September 15, 2004

About a year ago, I tried taking Hayden to the daycare at the gym. The first time, he just kind of wandered around in that adorable 18-month-old kind of stupor, pretty much oblivious to what was going on. When I came back an hour later, the care giver said he had sort of hovered around the door, but he hadn't cried. I thought that meant things were A-OK. I was so wrong! Two days later, we went back. I had just gotten the treadmill up to speed when a gym employee came up to tell me my son was "pretty upset" (having a meltdown), and if I wanted him to "tough it out," (torment the poor care giver) they would "honor my wishes" (not kick me out, but would label me a horrible mother). I went back and found him hysterical, with every other kid in the place trying to console him. He just wasn't going for it. So, I started going to the gym early in the morning before Neil left for work. About three months later, I tried again. We didn't even get in the door when the hysteria began. It was surprising because Hayden is the kind of kid who prefers other people (namely grandparents and Aunt Keet) over his parents. He is definitely not a momma's boy or a daddy's boy - he's more of a "whoever I have more fun with" boy, or a "whoever is more likely to give me m&ms" boy. I gave it one last valiant effort, and even called ahead and warned the staff. Same result. So I kept getting up at 6:00 in the morning to work out for a whole year.

Now with Neil's new job, he leaves too early for me to go in the morning any more. I decided it was time to suck it up and try again. D-Day was last Wednesday. I explained to Hayden what was going to happen on the way over. He was going to play in the play room with the other kids, and I was going to work out in the exercise room, and then we would both leave together. He seemed pretty cool with the whole idea. So, we walked in. He was still okay. We made it back to the child care room. No freak outs. We walked in right behind another mom and her four year old daughter. The four year old started whining immediately. I braced myself. Hayden walked in, cruised over to a shelf full of toys and started playing. I was in shock. I signed him in, and told him I'd be back to get him. He was like, yeah whatever - there are toys in here, different toys.

For the first time ever, I had my Ipod turned off the whole time I worked out. If someone was going to come tapping on my shoulder, I wanted to be ready for it. I only did two sets of ten on all the machines instead of the usual two sets of fifteen, and I only ran a mile and a half instead of two and a half because I just didn't want to push my luck. 45 minutes later, I went back to the child care room and found Hayden playing - exactly like I left him. I told him it was time to go, and I had to practically drag him out the door. He wanted to stay.

We have gone two more times so far this week - with the same result. When I picked him up today, the care giver asked me how old Hayden was. I told her and she told me how well behaved he is, especially for being only 2 1/2. And he shares with the other kids. And he patiently waits his turn. And he has an impressive vocabulary. My well behaved, sharing, patient, turn-taking, verbal genius lets Mommy go to the gym at a leisurely 9:30 in the morning. I couldn't be more proud of him!

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

< ? Blogging Mommies # >

Blog Search Engine
Seo Blog - free blog hosting! Publish your blog for free!