Wednesday, September 10, 2003

Songs
There are a few songs that have the power to evoke a memory, a person, a place in my mind.

A short list...

"In My Life" - Beatles. The most obvious one. Our wedding song. It says it all - about better days, hard times, the ones we love, and the ones we've lost. I still cry when I hear it.

"Three Little Birds" - Bob Marley. On a motorhome trip to northern California, ten weeks pregnant with Hayden, terrified I would miscarry again. It became my mantra on that trip as I waited to hit the second trimester of pregnancy. Every little thing was alright.

"Two of Us" - Beatles. Nicole. I'm not sure why. We never chased papers or wore raincoats! Almost every Beatles song reminds me of Nicole in one way or another.

"Never Let Me Down Again" - Depeche Mode. Off of the "Music for the Masses" CD. The very first CD I ever owned. I was the first person I knew who had a CD player on their bedroom stereo. I still have that relic in my garage. The line "Promises me I'm as safe as houses / as long as I remember who's wearing the trousers" always irritated me. What the hell does that mean? Houses does not rhyme with trousers, not even in monotone.

"Darling Nikki" - Prince. Nicole and Andrea. Walking past that funky "castle" house in our old neighborhood. Andrea breaking her parents' bed frame as she jumped while enthusiastically dramatizing the "Chaw, Nikki" part. And the lyrics were very confusing to us as ten year olds. She did what with a magazine? And there was the accompanying scene in the movie. Prince. Piano. Need I say more?

"El Condora Pasa" - Weird, but I always think of driving up the San Pasqual grade when it used to be pretty and green.

"Killing an Arab" - The Cure. Reminds me of Becky...she made up a little dance with me and Nicole when we were in junior high.

"I Was Made to Love Her" - Stevie Wonder. Reminds me of my Mom. My Mom is one of those people who dances crazily while driving if a good song comes on the radio. This was always one of those songs for her.

"Just Like Starting Over" - John Lennon. Mom again. We were going through a Jack in the Box drive-thru the first time either of us heard this song on the radio. I think I was about six. My Mom turned it up so loud they couldn't hear her order at the speaker. It was only a few weeks later that John Lennon was killed.

...this isn't such a short list after all...

"Let Me Roll It" - Paul McCartney. Kate. We all went to the Paul McCartney concert in 2002, but had separate seats. This is one of Kate's favorite songs and when he started to play it, I turned around and saw Kate leaping out of her chair to stand up and dance, even with her broken foot.

"More Than A Woman" - Bee Gees. Joanna. I hate this song. At every party I ever had or went to, Joanna somehow got to the stereo, took off whatever good music was on, and put on this damn song!

"The Dance" - Garth Brooks. Okay, I never hear this song. I had to look up the name on CD Now. But, if I did hear it, it would remind me of Reid and Becky's wedding. This was the song they danced to. Reid sang every word to Beck. At the time, I thought it was a bit too obvious, or cheesy, or something. Now, I see it for what it was...true love...so Reid and Beck.

"Besame Mucho" - The Beatles. Hayden loves this song. He likes to sing the "Cha Cha Boom" part.

There are so many more. I'll have to add to this list.

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blogarama - The Blog Directory

< ? Blogging Mommies # >

Blog Search Engine
Seo Blog - free blog hosting! Publish your blog for free!